Thread: Dog Bones
View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2023, 12:02 PM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I bought a set of adjustable dog bones for my 2012 250R Ninja...
for the purpose of LOWERING the seat height....
I measured the distance between the bolt holes after I pulled the stock dog bones off and put a screw jack under the very back of the engine... and after positioning the seat height where I wanted it...
then I set both of the NEW adjustable lower links/ dog bones to that measurment... installed them and it was right on but the sag adjustment added too much so I had to subtract some length from the adjustable dog bones
go get it just right when I sat on it...
sense it took me several hours to set the sag just right I opted to just do the Dog bones to get it perfect.... it worked great.
on my RX4 I had to make a new lower link and add 5/8" to the length of the stock link to lower it as much as I daired. any more than that caused binding of the link and clearance problems of the shock. but it did lower it 2"
I wound having to raise the rear by the pre-load adjustment so the rear tire wouldn't hit the inner fender on bumps though....
it depends on what kind of geometry the rear of the bike has weather the links you add will be alot longer or shorter or just a little bit....
on most of them it's just a little bit like 1/2" or so...
I used 2 pieces of 1.5"wide x 1/8" thick bar stock for each side of the lower link... making the total thickness 1/4" when welded together
this is over kill as I am sure 3/16" thick metal would have handled it easy.
on My RX4 it doesn't have Dog bones but a "U" shaped piece where the dog bones themselves are attached to a tube and then that is bolted to the frame
I pressed in a bronze bushing for where the bolt goes and it's been working great sense and I can flat foot that heavy beast easy !
....it SUX to be short !
Bob......