View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2016, 06:53 AM   #17
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
I believe the CRF450R is an off-road model, never intended for on-road use. Kick-start.

CRF450X was moreso enduro inspired, with electric start and slightly de-tuned toward mid-range performance and top end speed.

In a way, this is a continuation of my "best bike" thread, because people aren't as likely to click on threads with several pages of replies.

My thinking was that I could acquire a street legal CRF450X with lights/license plates and electric start, and then swap over some big brake components and rims designed for the CRF450R.

Things may have changed, so I'll figure it out in the next few days. Time to go for another ride and knock on some doors to inquire whether or not certain bikes have been sold or if they are still available.
I know one of your main goals is performance of the motor but again, the crf450 motors, both the r and the x are practically race engines, they require a lot of up keep at that performance level. Off roaders who are screaming on these non stop are probably doing top ends and more every 20 - 35hrs. Riding one of these on the road is not a terrible idea, would be fun but if I was going to use it for anything more than the occasional weekend ride here and there I would reconsider personally. If your average trip speed is around 30mph that means tearing the top end down for checks, (valves, pistons, rings, cylinder ect...) every 600 - 1000 miles of riding give or take, bottom end every 4000 miles or so give or take. just something to consider. Purposely built dual sports like a drz400 will be much longer service intervals, a little less performance, a little more weight. Although, some of those guys are really into those drz400 SM's and with some decent cash you can get good performance out of them.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote