Thread: BBG Adventures
View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #39
OX-34
IBA#486

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 300, FJR1300, Super Tenere, Blackbird, TMax scoot

Teri that was a great report .Congratulations on bagging the BBG. I travelled some of those roads and towns out on Highway 50 during the 2013 Iron Butt Rally. I'll have to check out some of your videos as a refresher. Glorious countryside.

Thanks for the list of mods. A couple of years ago I had a stock ZZR-250 that went 1000km (600 miles) the first time I started it. A 500km night run and an uncertified SS1000M showed me that these little creatures were capable of long distance riding. Then I sold it....

I'm now on a 300 that I bought a couple of weeks ago. I've installed a Zero Gravity screen I can tuck behind and a rear rack for a plumbed auxiliary tank (3 gallons/10 litres). Next step is to add spot lights. I'll use the mirror mounts for the lights and switch to bar end mirrors for unimpeded rear vision. I had planned to mount a camel bak with retractable hose to the rear of the bike, but I hadn't thought of hanging one from the side of the tank so I will check that out.

SPOT and GPS will be up the front of course. An Airhawk, an Omni-cruise throttle lock, some risers (Roar or Black Path or something - my dealer has ordered those) and the bike should be sorted. Ok, maybe a 15T.

I'm planning a BBG - we do a BBG2500km downunder so its a bit over 1550 miles. We have maximum speed limits of 110km/r and the BBG requires 105km/r overall average so they are very tight runs indeed.

It's the other side of the world so its just starting to warm up here but just yesterday I rode a SS1000 on my Blackbird and used heated gear just a couple of degrees above freezing. I run 12V heated gear on a few of my other bikes but I had doubts about the spark available on the Ninja 300. I may fiddle with the switching for the lights so that flicking to high beam only the auxiliary lights come on, not the other bike light. That will gain me a few sparks.

Anyway, back to lurking for me. Thanks for the inspiration
OX-34 is offline   Reply With Quote