View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2019, 10:17 AM   #4
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Hi A.J.,

When i bought my 250 in 2017 I was given ONE key. I bought three O.E.M. blanks at a ridiculous price from Kawasaki. I took them to a locksmith and had them cut. They worked fine but wouldn't open the gas cap. I didn't like the locking gas cap and replaced it. If you have an original key keep it and do not use it except to make new keys. The keys wear and if you try to reproduce key from a worn key you may get into trouble. An example is; make a copy on a Xerox type copier. Then make about 50 copies on the same copier each time making a copy of the previous copy you made,. The 50th copy will look distorted and fuzzy. And that will happen with your keys. I think the key code may be located somewhere on your helmet lock - not sure.

I would not advise buying any key blanks on eBay from some Chinese source.

I like my handlebars - in fact, there is NOTHING I would change on my little EX250. However, the shifter is a-bit touch and go.

Uncle Bill
Thanks guys. I’ve decided to stay with the OEM handlebars. There isn’t much id want to change either although I love my aftermarket foot pegs and shortys but I did keep my OEM brake and shift lever. And I agree with the shift lever at your foot, they’re junk. I have to adjust it a few time per summer it seems. But it’s a small thing. Also, I bought the key blank from Partzilla and it’s a Kawasaki OEM blank. Felt it was better to do that than to try and save a buck. And thanks DannoXYZ for the info now I’ll always know where the code is should I ever need it. I didn’t realize it was as easy as looking it up by part # though.
I just wanted some cool looking handle bars but after looking at what it would take to replace, I’m not really in the mood lol.