View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #7
Foxrider64
Hello Moto

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1975 RD350; 2001 KX125; 2003 Z1000; 2003 KDX50; 2009 ZX6R; 2011 Ninja 250R; 2014 KX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULW View Post
Clutch behavior is different than fueling issues behavior...
Agreed- and it doesn't feel like a slipping clutch to me based on previous experiences with it.

Quote:
With the clutch you will see the engine revs go up without much change in speed... let's say 8,000RPM at WOT and then it surges up to 9,500 and back down to 8,000 without the accompanying rise in motorcycle acceleration performance... that's a slipping clutch under a high load, and it's fairly smooth. A certain RPM in a certain gear equals a certain speed EXCEPT if the clutch is slipping, then the engine speed will rise without the MPH, and it's not a subtle steady situation but a dynamic depending on how the clucth disks are generating heat and friction, etc.
At full throttle in a full tuck I am not watching my tach at all. When it first happened I pitted in and came to a full stop and then ran through every gear under acceleration (practice start). The surging did not happen again until I hit a long straight where I was in 6th at full throttle again.

Quote:
With a fueling issue, AFR is either borderline (jetting or FI mapping) or intermittently changing (fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel quantity, fuel quality)... in this case a lean issue will cause it, and the bike performance follows the surging, it's not as smooth.
As mentioned, I had recently fueled up- the fuel had been purchased that day and is just pump fuel. I ran the same fuel in my truck which actually was performing like a turd on the drive home. The bike gave no indication in the 4 previous sessions of running excessively lean and nothing was changed besides the fuel.

If my kids allow it, I will drain the tank this evening but I have no where I can test a race bike at full throttle in my area.
Foxrider64 is offline   Reply With Quote