Old December 3rd, 2017, 07:57 AM   #127
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi rider View Post
What about gear position indicator? As someone bought up on basic motorcycles in the eighties it makes me laugh!
I ride by feel and RPM's not what gear I am in. I really don't care if I'm in 3rd or 4th gear, if the engine is winding up, I up shift, if it's lugging I down shift.

Fuel Gauge?

nah, I know I get about 120-140 miles before I have to switch my bike to reserve and I get 26 miles after reserve until I am walking based on my experience. So if I hop on the bike and I know I have a 46 mile ride to work and my trip meter says 90 miles I stop for gas.

I was leading a ride yesterday, one of the other riders said he needed gas, as we left on the ride (who shows up for a ride with your tank on empty?). He was the #2 rider and every time we would stop at a light or stop sign he would roll up next to me and shout "I need gas". It was 6 or 7 miles till we came to the first gas station along the route and I pulled in. He put 4.5 gallons in his 6 gallon tank. He could have gone another 60 miles. Know your bike and it's capabilities and stop looking at idiot lights.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote