View Single Post
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaland View Post
justin, i would just suggest hitting up walmart and checking out some mountain bikes.
A mountain bike certainly occurred to me, a road bike would require a lot less work. I was initially asking about a good road bike brand, but I suppose I wasn't specific enough. Let me know if I'm mistaken about mountain bikes though, like I said, I'm clueless with them, just know how to ride them well.

Quote:
i can't see you being able to pedal for long if 2-3 seconds of running makes you hit the ground.
That happens because my knee gives out, not because I'm out of shape. My knee wouldn't need to twist like that if I'm pedalling.
I'll try to explain what happens. Say you're changing direction, you need to twist your leg to do this. If I'm running, I land a lot harder than when I'm walking. The added force is too much for my knee, so I fall. I can't prevent it, I can't see it coming. My knee bends sideways, I collapse and can't walk due to pain rivalling a Charley horse for a few minutes.

Quote:
how about investing in a go-ped? that would be something to think about
It certainly would be fun, but I'm losing muscle weight. I haven't been able to work out in months due to the knee and an unrelated wrist injury and another unrelated ankle injury. I need something for cardio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...explorer1.html

This bike is called the Cadallac of bikes b/c it's known for comfort. It's an easy, smooth ride, but being a hybrid, it can take a little beating if you ever go off road too.
This has definitely piqued my interest, it looks excellent. I especially like the suspension under the seat; this would make getting onto sidewalks from corners a lot easier. Hybrids don't sound like a bad way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Bikesdirect.com (cheapest is around $250-300)
Checking that out now, thanks a lot.

Quote:
Anything with a 700c tire will be much easier to pedal and maintain speed than a mountain bike tire.
I knew knobblies were less "speedy" than road tires, but for clarification on size, 700c is the same as C-700, right?

Quote:
Then again, MTB's are more comfortable over bumps due to the added tire and the front suspension that many have.
I miss this about my old bicycles, the suspension made them so easy and fun to bunnyhop extremely high.
Though, as I'll won't be doing any off-roading or stunting, the only bumps I'll regularly encounter are jumping onto sidewalks.

Quote:
Also if there is an Academy near by you can find a cheapo Schwinn road bike for right around $200.
I'm against cheap quality. If I have to, I'll pay more.

This will be my primary method of transportation until I move again (sometime between next week and 2012), so having one that's efficient is very important.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Input is still appreciated, as my decision isn't made up, though it certainly looks like I may have to spend more than I hoped.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote