View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #16
placetobe
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 89 EX250

Today I actually completely fixed the problem. It was actually my fuel petcock that was the issue. Apparently when the bike was idling, the petcock would not allow fuel to flow through. The float bowls were thus full enough to allow fuel to flow through the needles but not full enough to allow fuel to flow through the pilot jet, which are higher in the float bowls. It now idles right at 1300 rpm with no hanging. its been a great day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polecat View Post
got any updates on this? The wife has an 89 250 that is doing the same thing. The carbs have been completely ruled out on hers though as I have had them checked by 3 different mechanics, after giving up on them myself. The last one who used to race a 250 told me he thought it was a vacuum issue with the petcock and I replaced it with a used one but still happens. The tank has been coated so that could be an issue but I am at a loss on this one.
polecat, sorry to hear you are having similar issues. Before realizing it was the petcock, i was advised to check the spark plugs for oil deposits. the oil could be causing misfiring which could then cause stalling. fix would be to replace the piston seals... i think.

along the same wavelength as my problem, another possibility could be your floats. if they somehow are floating falsely high, they could shut off fuel to the float bowls before they are full. otherwise im as stumped as you.
placetobe is offline   Reply With Quote