View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

New problem! WTF is this....

Ok so as stated in my log I dropped my bike a few hours ago. It wouldn't start, so I assumed it was flooded and waited about 30 min then came back and it started up fine. Brought it home and let it sit for a good hour or so before I hopped on it again. It started up fine.

I go down the street a good 4 miles, coming up on a stop in 3rd gear, slow down, shift down, and I feel the engine losing power. Next thing I know the oil light is on, engine has stalled, and I pull into someone's driveway.

Tried starting it again, no good. Battery is fine, starter is cranking, no start up. I wait 20 minutes, try it again, and it starts up fine. I decide its time to go home and head back. 2 miles down the line, this time is 2nd gear and not coming up on a stop or anything, I feel the engine losing power again. Pull over and the engine dies. Repeated the wait and crank I did previously until it worked.

Went another mile before it died again. And this time since I was so close to home, I just walked the bike for half a mile instead of waiting. After walking a bit, started it up, and it made the rest of the way home before dying on my my driveway in 1st gear. Once I pulled it into the garage, I fired it up one more time just to see if it'd start and it did. Turned it off and now I'm here wondering WTF was going on.

My guess is that, if I was right about the bike flooding earlier, I never gave it enough time for the flood to clear out, and by trying to ride it so soon each time it died, I reflooded it. But I don't really know. I'm a noob.

What do you guys think? Halp plox

The only problem the bike had before all this was a petcock leak in the off position. Carbs were rebuilt and engine cleared of previous flooding 5 days ago.
SemperFudge is offline   Reply With Quote