View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2021, 05:07 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Howdy all !
with the acquisition of the 2012 250R it is the first experience I have had with a full blown crotch rocket, although I did have a Honda Interceptor 500cc
the main problem I find is body position... in the bent forward position on the bike that your forced to ride in
you do NOT have as much control as a back straight body straight type position that I am used to.... and that does effect your balance....just about every where.... from maneuvering it in the back yard, a store parking lot or
carving corners on a twisting road.... the lean forward design SUCKS !
I already know I can carve corners much better on the TT250...just because of the body position on it. although I have not completely figured out the what and why of the balance problem for me, is.... the leaning forward
seems to be the major part of the problem.

I know alot of you guys take the Ninja to the track, and have other bikes as well, My question to you is, in your opinion is the forward lean design actually as safe as the normal riding position on just about any other bike ?
....I'm not saying the Ninja design is unsafe, it takes alot of getting used to...
but I'm fairly certain I can put the machine where I want to now...
my riding duration time has been slowly increasing and I did expect my rides to be short lived due to my aching ass ! and that has been proven !
but what gets me is in slow turns like at a stop sign and turning left getting going is no where as stable as on another bike ... and I find that WEIRD !
and I really haven't figured out why it's like that !.... Yet....
any suggestions ?
Bob.........
This is biomechanical issue. Having ridden motos for 37-years and done 12-years of velodrome and road-racing (mostly crits), and making it to Olympic trials in 1992 for kilo, I see there are several areas that's causing you issues. Trying to address in logical order, however, they all affect your riding simultaneously:

1. back positioning - Yes, you are correct that straight back is preferred, both for comfort and control. Reason you've found upright straight-back position easier is this removes upper body-weight from handlebars. However, this can be done in upright or leaned-over seating positions. I'll use bicycles to illustrate since it's easier to see without big moto in way. Many cyclists sit with their lower-back upright on seat and bend middle of back over:

This causes discomfort, pain and fatigue, which limits how much time you can sit on seat. More effective seating-position is to keep back straight, and rotate at hips to bend over; infamous "straight back" cyclists strive for.

Similarly, that issue affects riders on motos as well:

With similar fix of keeping back straight and rotating at hips. Arch your back in reverse and try to put belly-button on tank. This ensures back is straight.

These last photos, while showing proper straight-back positioning illustrates 2nd issue...

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 24th, 2021 at 08:40 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.