Thread: Bicycles!
View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2023, 09:17 PM   #2314
Jimi4
ninjette.org newbie

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda

I wanna share my experience with you guys. I am not a pro. I bought a Cannondale Topstone (alloy) last year. Its geometry is fairly similar to the Synapse which I believe is on the racier end of endurance. It also happens to mirror my road bike (Canyon Endurace) very closely. So fit-wise these gravel/road bikes feel similar. On the road it rides a bit slower than my road bike but unless you're in the middle of a Hammerfest its not enough to matter.
I wouldn’t reasonably expect it to be much worse than my road bike. More frequent drivetrain cleaning is required due to the nature of the ride.

Lessons learned - get shoes/pedals for SPD. I tried one ride with my SPD-SL and after putting my foot down prior to a stream crossing and getting the cleat coated in sand/grit I learned my lesson. Also, watch your speed. While bombing down gravel roads at 30+ mph is exhilarating in more than one way; you really need to be able to read your line and anticipate what’s coming ahead. The handling is different, especially if any loose material is encountered. Also, gravel roads are generally not graded the same way a paved road is.
Jimi4 is offline   Reply With Quote