View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:12 PM   #97
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Name: Hans

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
None taken. I don't take offense from holier than thou people. Not everyone on this forum knows how to tig weld, which you seem to have overlooked. Nor is everyone a competent machinist and there are even people who don't even know what an angle grinder looks like. I don't really care. Build your budget project if you really think you can. In the end, if all you are planning to do is daydream on this subject and not actually do anything, this thread is pointless.
All true. And it should be clear that if a number of people want identical parts TIG-welded then there is a business opportunity for a member who can TIG-weld. In fact, economies of scale will eventually make this approach less costly.

But, for the sake of argument let's assume that there are four members interested in the project, then it is much more efficient for each member to order in multiples of four, keep one and send the other three to the second person, who keeps one, adds three new and sends them to the third, etc. Think: round robin assembly.

In my case, soldering components to an additional three circuit boards will require not much more effort as my skills are really rusty and I'm likely to waste a day making (s)crap until I figure out how to get it right, after which I figure that I'll need less than 30min/piece.

As for TIG welding, the maintenance guys at the plant up the road charge two large Papa John's pizzas for any sort of welding job. I suspect they eat the pizzas while 'training the new guy'.

I also have sporadic access to a plasma-cutter at a local machine shop (which may or may not come in handy). It's only a question of time until they call me to figure out why the computer isn't working the way it should (I told them I'd build them a fan-less system for the cost of the parts to limit the amount of dust that thing accumulates, but apparently they prefer to buy a new powersupply every couple of months).
Lowspeed Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote