View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

EX250R Competitiom

I have a very close friend who has been in the MC business since 1950. He was a Triumph and NSU dealer. I worked for him in 1958 and got my first bike from him--a 1956 NSU Special Max 250. He became a Yamaha dealer when Yamaha first came to the US--In fact he still sells Yamaha and Triumph among other stuff. He tried out my Ninja last week and lamented the fact that Yamaha and others had really missed the boat. He feels that the US is ready for a performance 250 for urban travel. This is a guy who knows motorcycles and the market. Back in the late 50`s his best selling bikes were the 200cc Triumph Cub and the 250cc NSU for those of us who used motorcycles for trnsportation. With the escalsting costs of energy and concerns for the environment, this class of people (and market) wil re-emerge. Kawasaki was on the mark since 1986 and is ahead of everybody else in the 250cc market. In just urban transportation, the Honda Rebel is a good buy. It does, however fall short in long distance highway travel. One needs to go to a 400 to get that feature. In 1971 I had a Norton, Jawa, CZ, Benelli dealership. The Norton 750 sold well. Jawa 360 with its semi-automatic transmission did not do well. The 250 CZ sold well because it domonated the off road racing scene until Bultaco came on the scene. The Benelli 250 was a total bust. In those days I rode a white Jawa 360, pinstriped in black, with a matching Jawa sidecar--wish I had that machine today--a sweet ride. Things are changing, and those of us who had the insight to get a well founded 250 are the winners. Sorry to have rambled on--comes with age.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote