View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2020, 05:46 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
  • Well salvage is fine, you can always get those inspected and titled.
  • Speedo can be rolled forward to match what's in DMV's records. Or there's checkbox on form to effect of "displayed mileage not accurate" or some such.
  • Even changing engine is fine because there's a form you fill out that will change engine# that's attached to VIN.
  • Also federal sticker is inside hip-fairing, so that's easy to get.

However, if the VIN sticker does not match what's stamped on headtube, you're going to have an extremely difficult time getting through inspection. Even if you do manage to fool your way through inspection and get it titled, you'll always be at risk for getting bike impounded. Any time you get pulled over, there's chance they'll compare VIN sticker with stamp on headtube. And then it'll get impounded no questions asked. Then burden of proof will be on you to bring documentation to impound-yard to explain why there's two different VINs on one frame...

No kidding, this happened to me 30-years ago when I got 2nd VF500 as parts bike and mixed and matched parts. Ended up getting VIN stickers mixed up on frame (removed to paint frame). Cop who pulled me over for loud-exhaust was required to impound bike. On ticket, it said something like "only release to licensed driver with current registration". Since there were two different VINs on bike, I had to have current-registration on both to get out of impound. Only way I could get it out was to go to DMV and pay 5-years back-fees on scrapped bike so that I could prove I own both bikes and their registrations were both paid up.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote