View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #9
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Tl;dr It's a really great bike, basically a bigger 250 with twice the power

I've got a bit over 20k on my 500 (not putting so many miles on this winter, its been very cold and icy but I ride when I can) and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's got its quirks as I'm sure the 250 does, and being a budget bike you get the same kind of thing as a 250, brakes, suspension, etc do the job but they aren't great. That's the thing, it's a great all rounder kind of bike, does everything decently well but not great at anything. Mine still starts after sitting for a few days in 20 degree weather (battery tender plugged in of course) it takes a little bit of choke work and some patience but its never not started on me. when its warmer out (60-70+) it starts easy with no choke. It's a very reliable bike and is easy to work on, I did a chain replacement, oil change, carb sync and valve adjustment on it this summer and it was all my first work. As for gas mileage and tires, well in the winter I get 45mpg and about 55 in the summer for mixed city/highway. On long highway rides I average 65mpg with my highest being 68, cruising between 70-90 mph so I'd say that's pretty damn good. I ride very aggressively too, often going to 7-11k from stop lights and full throttle getting on the highway. I run avon roadrider tires and I got 10,000 on my rear before it needed replacement, now it has 11,000 and is getting really bald but still holds traction even in the wet (got a new tire sitting in my bedroom just haven't put it on) and the same amount of mileage is on my front tire and its got at least 50% tread left. The tires have NEVER lost traction in the rain or going through any turns and as I said I do ride aggressively. In terms of power, its roughly twice as powerful as the 250 in terms of torque and hp, I've never felt like I didn't have enough power and it can haul some ass, not like a 600+ or even a 650 but more than enough to have you doing double the limit in 4-5 seconds if that's what you want it to do. That's my ninja 500 experience, all in all a really great bike and I recommend it if you want something a little bit bigger and more comfortable than the 250 for a nice price. Also, the bike does quite well with a passenger.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote