View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:23 PM   #26
MrChomper
ninjette.org member

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
A quick search of Craigslist shows most of the pregens about $1700, that's an asking price so I'm sure you show up with $1,400 or $1,500 cash you ride off on a bike. 2nd gens are running $1,800-$2,300. Ninja 300's are running $3,000-$3,500. Again all asking prices.

But this is the worst time to buy a bike.
Agree. After Labor Day and through February is a good time to look for a used bike on craigslist. Nobody else is thinking about a motorcycle at that time, they're thinking about school or football, thanksgiving, christmas, whatever.

Then after the holidays January and February are good months for good deals, you start getting into March and people start getting spring fever, then motorcycles, and watercraft start getting more in demand again.

During spring and summer there's a lot of competition, and while not impossible, it does require a lot more work. When looking at craigslist I look for bikes that disappear one day, and come back a day or two later. That usually means a sale fell through and the seller is moving into the "just take this bike off my hands" stage of ownership. And you can probably have more luck negotiating.

I also contact a bunch of sellers for bikes I'm interested in and let them know I have cash in hand, and I'm ready to spend X amount, and invite them to reach out to me if they are willing to settle for that amount of money to sell their bike quickly.
MrChomper is offline   Reply With Quote