Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
........... I may subconsciously resent owning a motorcycle. I think it's because motorcycles are something that we're told are dangerous, to stay away from them. So, in owning a motorcycle, there's a little bit of pleasure taken in being different and opposing society's norms; it's cool to ride a motorcycle.
In my experience, most people feel confused about other people who practice motorcycling in any form.
As they don't know much about it, they tend to go by whatever they have heard from other sources, probably as confused and misinformed as they are.

I was also a little confused myself many years ago when I learned that my neighbor doctor rode a Harley that he repaired himself.

For those reasons, you will receive a lot of different opinions from people that will cross your path.
It is normal to have concerns when those people have some power over you.
Nevertheless, you may have the power to change those opinions with enough time, if you are the clean, proficient, courteous and safe type of rider.
First impressions are important, but they are not written on stone.

If I ever felt guilty was because the consequences that a bad accident could have had in my family.
To easy that bad feeling I have done two important things:
1) Take each member of my family with me for as many rides as possible in all weather conditions.
2) Work hard and permanently to be as safe as I could be.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.