View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2016, 02:25 AM   #3
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

Project Day 2 - Aug 20th

Another hot day (pushing 100), but I got a good hour or two of work in.
  • Entire front fairing removed.
  • Headlights, blinkers, horn removed. Supersport rules look like I need to keep the wiring harness intact, so I'm leaving it for now.
  • Instrument cluster zip-tied to fairing bracket for now. It's actually pretty sturdy there, so I may just replace the zip-ties with safety wire until I'm further down the road enough to spend on an aftermarket bracket. Or maybe I'll just drill a bunch of holes in the stocker and spray it with BBQ paint.
  • The plug for the instrument cluster is slightly cracked. It still fits well enough, but doesn't positively lock in. I may need to do a little JB Welding next time to get the locking tab on better. The bike starts without the cluster plugged in, but I'd hate to lose the tach mid-race.
  • Radiator fan removed. This was a PITA without taking down the radiator.
  • Exhaust heat shield and tip dress-up thingy removed.

So, she's pretty much stripped to her knickers now. Engine still looks pretty and no obvious frame issues. A part of me wanted to go back and pull the tail fairing I'd left on last time for some unknown reason. But the other part of me wanted a pitcher of lemonade and some air conditioning, and that part won. Those will probably go next time so I can list the full plastics set for sale. Also, I should be able to delete the clutch side switchgear since there's nothing for it to control anymore. Looking at where the radiator reservoir is placed makes me shudder. Even filled with Water Wetter, I'd like to see it further inboard. I'll have to relocate or replace that. I'm sure there's a lot of brackets that could be removed or "Drilltanium-ed," but I'll wait until I have race bodywork on-hand for that. I'm thinking the windscreen plus a big number board on the fairing stay should be good enough bodywork for "testing."

The "Bin of Suck" hath overflowed. No idea how much weight has been shed today, but it's plenty.

Last futzed with by Burphel; August 21st, 2016 at 03:42 AM.
Burphel is offline   Reply With Quote