View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2018, 10:06 PM   #168
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
You're welcome But I want to say something about your comment on drawing the track. When you have no idea what the track looks like is the PERFECT time to try and draw it. That is the point. You have no idea what it looks like so coming in from practice and drawing WHATEVER you remember will help you learn the track quicker than waiting to draw it after you have learned it.....does that make sense?

When I went to a new track for racing (I had exactly one day to learn the track and then try and qualify for an AMA race the next day) I never studied track maps or watched videos before hand. I went out in practice behind someone who offered to give me a tow around and when I came in I drew (terribly) whatever I could remember. Even if I got it completely wrong or only drew the first 2 turns or whatever, I drew what I could remember and that made me really think and utilize my memory and focus. After the first attempt at drawing I would realize that I had nothing for the last half of the track so the next season out I would try and remember that part and so on and so on until I was able to draw the track from memory. then each session out I would add to it or redraw it completely. The point is that if you try and wait until you "remember" it enough to draw it, you've lost the main point of the exercise and that is that simply DRAWING IT over and over again will help you learn it faster.

It doesn't take me long now to learn new tracks and I attribute it to being forced to draw new tracks (by Keith Code Himself) and also having to show up for a California Superbike School and coach local riders on tracks that I've never been to before, lol.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your input if you get a chance to try what I've suggested
@Misti,
Sorry for the delay in responding, I was able to read your comments a long time ago (on my phone) but I have not had a chance to respond. This may be an advantage as I have had much time to think about what you wrote. Initially I was going to explain (again) how I had not ridden a bike, any bike, I over a year and that along with trying to learn a new track kept me from remembering anything I saw on the track. I really thought about what you said and I can see the advantage of drawing what little I did remember. I was running thru what I could remember between sessions on the track but had I taken the time to draw what I was remembering this would have cemented the data in my thick head. I will try this technique this season as I have not been to the Thompson track in a couple of years and plan to return as soon as the weather permits!

I have been doing lots of physical and mental training this off season and I really feel that this season will be the best so far. Really looking forward to this year on the track!

Thank you as always
Ant
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote