View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2019, 10:34 AM   #7
utn
ninjette.org newbie

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 1980 Yamaha XS1100 Midnight Special

Quote:
Bike and rider stability are always paired...
Quote:
...how to create rider stability?
When I think of 'stability' I tend to repeat the mantra "Fast is smooth, smooth is fast."
To me, a stable rider (and bike) is one that does not make movements that abruptly start or stop - being smooth.
For example, if a rider is transitioning their body position through an S shaped turn, where you move from one side of the bike to the other, your goal should be (if possible) to make the movement in the most gradual and consistent way so that the bike could ideally lean from one side to the other at a constant rate - as a variable rate of lean angle change would be more unstable.
One common instability situation I notice in my own riding is adjusting the bike throughout a corner. Adjusting the bike to turn more or less sharply after the turn begins leads to more instability. If you continue to move your body, and not remain stationary, you end up using your own 'instability' to correct the turn, therefore making you, and the bike, as a pair, more 'unstable'.
The best way to avoid instability is to try to move the least amount necessary :P
utn is offline   Reply With Quote