View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2019, 07:16 AM   #30
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Rearstand at least, though that will pitch the bike forward. Both stands is ideal. You can get off quite a bit when on stands. If you're nervous set up near a wall, far enough that you can move to one side but close enough to put a hand on the wall if you feel things start to get unstable.

PS: When you come out here in August hit up the classroom sessions. One of them (usually after lunch) is always a BP session where they put people on a bike. Be sure to step up and volunteer to be a guinea pig. I can also give you some tips in the paddock if you like.

PPS: In the grand scheme of things this is NOT the most important aspect of riding. There's a tendency (sheepishly raising my hand here) to emphasize body position because it makes you look and feel racy... but vision, smoothness, consistency, throttle control and braking are ALL far more important than striking the perfect pose.

Having said that, it's part of the package. If you ignore any part entirely, ultimately you'll create problems for yourself. That goes back to the comment above... if you completely ignore the upper body in favor of the lower body, you're missing the point.

It's a matter of priority. Focus first on the fundamentals. That doesn't mean completely blow off the rest... it just means that you should solve for the most important aspects first.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote