Old September 1st, 2016, 09:59 AM   #90
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
@FrugalNinja250 88 feet at 65 mph

Easy and not superhuman if you can see well ahead of the vehicle just in front of you.
If you can not see well ahead, you compensate with more space.
Simple.
Ah, you're assuming they're going to slam on their brakes only if the person in front of them does. What if a dog runs in front of them? What if they spill food/drink in their lap? What if they have a seizure? What if they realize they're almost past their exit? What if they just don't like you being so close and have a road rage moment? Yeah, most of those "what ifs" are a case of stupidity, how many stupid drivers do you see everyday?

Depending on anything other than your own reaction time to save you is increasing the risk beyond what is necessary. In this case, you're depending on being able to see and react to something that causes them to slam on the brakes, which is not always going to be the case.

It's too bad there aren't simulators for driving, it would illustrate how fast things can happen. I intentionally caused a prop overspeed in a Brasilia simulator once at cruise speed. What's the worst that could happen? We can handle (barely) prop overspeeds on takeoff. Well, it flipped upside down literally in the blink of an eye and headed for the dirt. Didn't matter how fast I was, or thought I was, it happened faster.