View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:34 AM   #107
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I am convinced under many condition in heavy traffic on freeways one second is safer then two. It pisses fewer people off and I get cut off less frequently. It is not ideal but I drive in the real world and not in utopia. When computers take over the roads your two seconds will be safer all the time.
It's not my two seconds, it's established science after almost a century of people looking at the matter. Your opinion is wrong, and almost two million people a year will be hit by someone sharing your opinion.

Quote:

Nepotism makes me a few months younger then Obama. When did I say I am 30? LOL you need to reread that post.
I don't understand the "nepotism" comment, maybe you've been autocorrected? Here's your own words on your age:

Quote:
I know I am not any quicker then the next guy, well 90% for my age but that just makes me average for a 30 year old.

Quote:
...we all have diminishing reactions as we age. I know I am slower.
Quote:
...I am convinced under many condition in heavy traffic on freeways one second is safer then two.
Quote:
...I drive in the real world and not in utopia.
It's apparent that tailgating is a core value to you, more important than society, family, probably even God. It's the most important thing to you beyond pretty much anything, that's the strong impression I get.

FWIW, if and when autodriving cars become mainstream following distances will be dramatically reduced. Why? Because as was stated in one of the links I gave you (and is common sense) the 2 second following distance is a function of reaction time. It takes measurable time for a human to recognize there's a situation that requires applying the brakes, time to decide what to do, time to move your foot over to the brake pedal, time to apply the brakes, time for the pedal to actually start moving downward, time for the car to rotate forward around it's polar moment of inertia as the brakes take effect, before the car actually starts slowing down. Self-driving cars eliminate all those hundreds of milliseconds that your meat brain inserts into the equation. Another cool thing about grid-controlled cars is that there's no reason to have traffic lights or stop signs at intersections. You just space the cars out as needed to provide a gap for another car to turn through. This can be done at high speeds, too. It'd be like figure eight racing but without the crashes.

The facts are that the less time there is between you and the car you're following, the harder you have to apply the brakes to bring your deceleration rate up to match the car in front of you. That gives the person behind you less time to match your deceleration rate, etc. Even if you successfully avoid rear-ending someone you've just created a traffic snake and messed it up for everyone else.

Still hoping to hear you say you will give motorcyclists 2 seconds, though.