Thread: Tire Wear Help
View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2018, 07:40 AM   #1
dat-tomato
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Phiipp

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Tire Wear Help

Posted this on Reddit without much response. Need help reading the wear on my tires. This is on a big, 250CC monster of a bike at Colorado's High Plains Raceway, running at a podium contending pace in the 250 production class (there's only like 5 other bikes though...).

Done a lot of learning via suspension and tire resources (eg. Dave Moss and Life at Lean), but a lot of that deals with bikes that actually have power to work the rear tire accelerating out of turns and weight to work the front tire during braking.

2009 Ninja 250 with:
  • Front springs set to about 5-10 lbs over my current weight, sag is perfect at 30mm
  • Front damping - Racetech Emulators
  • Rear springs set to about 5-10 lbs over my current weight, sag is perfect at 30mm, no free sag though
  • Rear damping - stock oem shock

Tires:
  • Front: Pirelli SC1 - 110 / 70
  • Rear: Pirelli SC2 - 140 / 70

Front suspension related wear I'll attempt to tune during the off season (looks like I need a bit less rebound with the lip on the leading edge), can't do the rear without upgrading (but seems I need a teeny bit more rebound due to lip on trailing edge). Ignoring suspension related wear, I'm looking for help on pressure related wear.

Off warmers (180F front, 190F rear), I set my tires to 30psi front and 26psi rear which is on the low-side of the recommended Pirelli range for SCs. After a session with track temps about 110F, my tire temps drop to 130F front and 150F rear, pressures remain the same. I set pressures low because it seems like I can't keep my tires hot during a session (158-176°F is Pirelli website's displayed optimum temp range).

I'm not getting the perfect "sandy beach" wear and because my 250 doesn't have power, I can't really tell if I'm hot tearing.

Help!

https://imgur.com/a/CWybtsm
dat-tomato is offline   Reply With Quote