View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2021, 11:01 AM   #20
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
From driving an electric car since 2014:

Performance is not a problem. Yeah, I can't adjust it, but it will spin the tires without traction control. I don't generally hit it that hard, but it's certainly there if I need it. It's had zero maintenance other than changing the air filter in the glove compartment (cabin filter). You could count that as maintenance. It had one issue from the factory where the quick-chargers wouldn't connect but that was a quick fix once we figured out the problem (the guide for the plug was a couple of millimeters too long and it wouldn't connect).

Batteries have lost a little bit of capacity over the years we've had the car, from 74 miles on a full charge to mid 60s now. If we plan to go somewhere over her range limits, we look up where to find chargers. There's a web page that lists them all. So far we've been able to find chargers where we need them.

There are considerations, but overall, EVs are useful for what they do.

My husband also has an electric motorcycle. It's a Victory, out of business, so there are considerations about that, but like with the car, there's not a lot that goes wrong with them. It's stranded him twice- once was a series of errors in judgement, any one of which if he hadn't done, would have let him get home instead of being stranded a couple miles from home. The other time one cell in the battery suddenly decided it wasn't happy (we put both of us on my little Ninja to get home, and came back with the trailer that time). No worse than his other bikes. Those break down sometimes, too.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote