View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #36
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulark View Post
I'm really not sure what that cork thing was for to be honest. The bottom end hasnt been opened up and it all looks good. So Im gonna leave it as is. This summer i will probably pull my old one apart and really rebuild the whole thing for a learning experience. But i think this one i have is fine. Like i said, the boxes of parts i bought, are from a couple motors that the guy compiled. If the motor blows though, you definitely get a "I told you so" moment. haha.

Anyways, i have 5 good pistons, 2 of which are really good. All of them have all the rings and stuff. How do i determine which rings to use, plus the little holding ring pin things?
Use the same pistons that were in your bike to start with. Don't take the rings off the pistons because they break easily - and are expensive. Pistons are balanced to the rod so don't mix them up.

The manual says that you have to replace the round spring clips that go on both sides of the wrist pin to hold it in. They are worried it will come loose and score the cylinder. I don't know if that is true, but its what the manual says.

If you are positive that he hasn't dropped anything down inside the short block that can get knocked between two gear teeth and damage them, then you don't have to rebuild it. The cork thing is his attempt to make his own head gasket. This might work for a 1957 chevy, but not Ninjas.