adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post

a.douglas, i know a SV or ninja would probably be best, but 90% of my drive is at 60mph or higher.
Most of my commute is at 60 or higher too. I ride my ninjette hard and she likes it.

Think about it. Our weeny little bikes can crank along at 70+ all day long. I rode from Connecticut to Indianapolis for the USGP a couple of years ago and the 250 didn't break a sweat. It revved really high, sure, but it's built for that.

Maintaining 60-70 mph cruising speeds does not require a lot of horsepower.

Check those dyno charts… the SV650 makes MORE torque and MORE horsepower than a 600 at real-world midrange revs, where it matters. In other words… if you get stuck behind the mommy bus at 40 mph one day and need to pass, an SV650 will probably beat the 600 to the punch (more torque more horsepower there). The 600 would continue to accelerate strongly, of course, and leave the SV in the dust but that's not the point. You needed to pass a minivan, not reach 120 mph on a straight.

You did say you don't want to ride around at high rpm all day. A 600 has to be revved high to make a lot of power. That's the nature of the beast.

However, if the CBR600 is what you're after, then yeah, you can commute on it. Just providing a different perspective.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote