View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #25
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Design is a big factor here as well. You don't want to match 1:1 the shape of steel sprocket in aluminium as 1/3rd weight may not be enough. You'll want to have more material, even mostly solid aluminium sprocket for only 1/2 weight savings. That should be sufficient strength. In end, it's the teeth that will wear out faster and require more frequent inspection and replacement.

I get about 1.5-years out of my 428 alloy rear-sprocket on my race bike with flipping it. On my street bike, I use a lightweight steel 520 sprocket that's actually close to aluminium in weight-savings.
Every aluminum or steel sprocket is the same thickness where the teeth are, and most aluminum sprockets are simply a plate of the uniform thickness with the good ones having a bunch of holes punched or machined in them in them to make them even lighter. You can safely design a sprocket that is a third as light as steel or less. You just have to understand the type of load being applied. (Shear) Look at how light brake the aluminum carriers are on floating brake rotors are and that will give you an idea of the possibilities.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote