View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #19
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Everyone is going to have their own opinion on what is the safest decision. For me, a mom with two young kids who works in the industry I have to make careful choices.

My choices: No street riding except the occasional foreign tour. (I hadn't ridden on the street in over 9 years but last year I went to Germany and Italy and toured for 8 days keeping speed down.

No big bike racing. This to me was just too dangerous but I did decide that mini racing on kart tracks would be ok. I rarely do any regular track days but I will ride my mini bike at the track and race.- my son who is 8 also races on the track.

Track days with the California Superbike School- I coach 15-30 days a year and in 14 years of coaching with them have never had a crash or on track incident. I also credit my riding skills and abilities to what I've learned from the school.

Road bicycle: nope. I've known too many people hit and killed or seriously injured on a road bicycle and I'm just not willing, nor do I allow my kids to ride on the street.

Dirtbike riding- I do the occasional dirt bike/moto riding, just completed the Texas Tornado Camp which was awesome and hit the trails sometimes.

Mountain biking- yup! with the kids, yup!

BMX Racing- yes.

Anyway, just saying to add another opinion. There is no right or wrong in this situation, just what people are comfortable with. I always suggest taking a riding school to make sure that YOU as the rider are riding to the very best of your ability in order to reduce risks, and that you make careful choices about where you go fast (not on the street) when and where you ride etc.....

Stay safe!!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.