View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #167
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Changed from stock grips to ProGrip 719 gels; switched out the stock silver handlebar bolts for black; put on legally required front license plate using windscreen bolts. Had to drill and bend the plate to make it work, but happy to get it on without the need to drill new holes into my ninjette or mount a bracket. Went for a 50 mile ride to test it out. The gel grips, combined with a bit of extra tightening of the new handlebar bolts worked great to resolve a hand buzzing problem I'd been having. The plate catches some wind underneath it, need to shape it more - heading out with ball peen hammer now.

As an aside, here's how I changed the grips: slid a small, soap-covered screwdriver under the old grips to break up the bit of glue holding the grips on out of the factory and deliver the soap. Pulled out the screwdriver and the grips slid right off with a bit of a twist. I cleaned off the soap, then put hairspray onto the bars and the new grips slid on pretty easy with the wet hairspray. When the hairspray dried, it dried tacky and new grips don't move around at all now. Would have been an easy job but for some stripping of the phillips head bolt holding the bar end on the throttle side - luckily I'd anticipated and ordered a backup bolt.

Did you have to remove the bar ends?
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote