View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #1
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

What's your opinion of Ride2Die.com??

***I guess I should throw out a disclaimer to those who have not seen it......the site is pretty graphic.***

A few years ago, before I owned a motorcycle, I was directed to ride2die.com to see some grisly images. I think that a buddy of mine was hinting at the risks involved with riding.

Well, to be honest, the more I looked and read.....the more I did not want to ride. It seemed to show the effects of accidents with no gear.....and it seemed to show the unfortunate demise of some that wore full gear. After several minutes of looking I was just depressed and sickened.

The site went down for a while but is back up and the domain is for sale. It still has the same information as a few years back and it still makes me second guess why I take the risk of riding. Especially with a wife and kids.

But then I get out and ride......and let me tell you....what therapy it is!!

My concern is that ride2die.com may instill fear into would-be enthusiasts and current enthusiasts. It could keep people from taking the additional risk of riding.... at the expense of a possible love for riding.

I understand the resounding cry of "all gear all the time" and "ride safe". I also understand the importance of educating the masses on rider safety through stories and images......but ride2die seems to be a little over-the-top for me. A little too "rotten.com".

I also know that alot of what you see is due to rider error .... stupidity ..... maybe even drug or alcohol induced. But it still hits home as the old "that could happen to me" scenario.....almost too sobering. Maybe I am just a wuss.

What do you guys/gals think?

BTW: There is a picture of a classic 250 near the middle of the page....he/she hit a truck.
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote