View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2023, 08:20 AM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

So far it hasn't been too bad....
I got them both apart tore apart and put back together...
special notes.... you must remove the wire c clip that holds the main seal on before you can get the fork tubes separated.
that clip is under the dust cover/wiper and you get it off by using a small screwdriver and working around the wiper seal many times to work it off the lower tube once it's free you can see the wire clip on the lower tube on top the seal.... take that out before you try to separate the 2 tubes....
i got in a hurry and forgot that on one tube and when I realized the fact I felt like a real dunce.... I pounded on the fork for hours it seamed like... but took out the clip and a good 20 whacks later and the tube's separated ....
and yes they need separated and cleaned up there was all kinds of gunk inside
they need cleaned inside and out.... I lubed up the new seals and wipers with grease...put them on the way the old ones came off and just re assembled them....
I did have trouble with the last fork in assembly ...I finally figured out that the damper tube that the screw on the bottom holds in needs to be assembled in the tube (inside the upper tube, not the lower tube) with it's spring and parts and threaded collar cap that the bolt screws into everything but the bolt goes into the tube.... assembled and sticking out the bottom of the top fork tube with the cap/collar on the tip you then slide the whole fork tube inside the lower tube... then try to get the bolt lined up and threaded in.... this took a few trys but it finally threaded in
and tightened down easy...
I used a 2" x 24" long piece of PVC water pipe to drive the new fork seals down home and then put the clips back in....then the dust covers on top of them....
...the book calls for 8W fork oil ...you can't find that easily ...i am going with 10W
and am sure there will be no problems ! ( got it off Amazon)Umm... no I didn't, life happened and I didn't get fork oil so I used automatic transmition fluid..... dumb move PROBABLY...but I wanted to get it back together !
got it all back together and it does indeed rebound quickly so I don't know I may be changing the oil soon !
Bob.......

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; July 9th, 2023 at 09:05 PM.
Bob KellyIII is offline   Reply With Quote