View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #88
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Did you know that all concealed handgun permit/license holders: 1. Have never been convicted of a felony, crime of violence, or domestic abuse. 2. Are not addicted to or use illegal drugs. 3. Cannot be under indictment or a fugitive from justice. 4. Have passed both state and federal background checks. 5. Are required in most states to take periodic training in order to continue to carry.

It cost me over $160 to get my permit, and will cost that much or more to renew it in five years.

Many states limit where a permit holder may carry their firearm.

When was the last time you heard of a handgun permit holder making an unjustified shooting?

How many criminals adhere to these restrictions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Let's see... Just looking at a few of the incidents that received widespread media attention...

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ass-shootings/
  • Luby's cafeteria, Killeen, Texas, 1991. 24 dead, 20 wounded. Firearm was a Ruger P89, obtained legally.
  • Washington Navy Yard, 2013. 13 dead, 8 wounded. Firearm was a Beretta, obtained legally.
  • Aurora Colorado theater shooting, 2012. 12 dead, 58 wounded. .40 Glock among other weapons, obtained legally.
  • Sikh temple shooting, Oak Creek, Wisconsin. 7 dead, 3 injured. Springfield XDM, obtained legally.
  • Virginia Tech massacre, 2007. 33 dead, 23 injured. Glock 19 and Walther P22, both obtained legally.

It is of course possible to go on and on, but you get the point. Holding a permit does not mean you won't be misuse a firearm.

Full disclosure: I am a CCW holder. Sometimes I carry. Sometimes I do not. I also live in an area of very low crime, but did not always (which is why I got my permit in the first place).
If you don't have a criminal record for committing crimes such as a felony, domestic violence, etc., you can buy a gun. That includes most of the population. Even if you are barred from buying a new gun from a dealer, you can still legally obtain a firearm, such as buying a used gun from an individual.

But my question was about concealed carry individuals using their guns to commit violent crimes. As far as I can tell, the incidents you linked to were not persons with concealed weapon permits. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

FWIW, I remember reading an article by a lady that was in Luby's that day and had left her pistol at home rather than put it in her purse. She was full of remorse because if she had it, it would have been easy to take out the shooter. Her mother, hiding behind their table with her daughter, was shot and killed.