Old November 16th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #97
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
IMHO slowing down is the right strategy. Remember "sneak up on fast?"

To specifically address your "how do I?" question, I believe it's about results. You do something, you get an outcome. Assess the outcome and that will lead you to your answer.

So if I may put on my Sensei Smith hat for a moment...

Hit the turn at a speed at which you KNOW you can put the bike where you want it to be. That's different from "let's see how fast I can go through this turn" and it's VERY different from "will I make it?"

-- Did you wind up too slow on entry (i.e. you used maintenance throttle longer than you intended before getting it on)? Then you slowed too much and/or too soon. So next time, brake later/less hard.

-- Did your exit not use the road available to you? Then you can increase your corner speed.

-- Did you feel good about getting to the apex? Great... maybe you can go a bit faster next time and still get there.

-- Were you able to obey Throttle Rule #1? If so, great... you're not overdoing it. Try going just a bit faster next time.

See the theme here? It's not about experiencing SRs and backing off. It's about gradually upping the pace... no SRs involved.

SRs are inevitable if you push too hard. So rather than adopting a "fight the SR" mindset (i.e., how do I stop being tight on the bars, how do I stop having to make mid-turn corrections), go back to first principles and ride at a pace where they don't happen in the first place.

That clears your mind to think about what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong, where you can do more and where you're pushing too hard. Sneak up on fast....

This, I believe, is why you're faster than me in corners but I'm smoother than you. I'm very consciously NOT pushing the limit and trying to tickle the lion's tail, while I think that you're instinctively trying to crank the pace and as a result, encountering SRs.

Part of this, I think, is that you're riding a literbike --- so easy to go too fast. How did you feel when you took Cheryl's 250 out? Were you totally comfortable and in control, not experiencing the issues you talk about? If so, then why? It's not just less power/less speed... Randall (Jenn's husband) can dust either one of us, riding her Ninjette. So can Chris. So what's the difference? It's that it's harder to get in over your head on a smaller bike, so you can pay more attention to technique.

I can say this: I'm a lot smoother and more comfortable on the R6 than I was on my 750. Part of that is that it's set up better, but I have a feeling that part is also that it's less powerful.

Final thought, and related to your Nov 9 post: What's your goal? Racers crash all the time because they're trying to go as fast as possible. Good track riders crash very seldom because speed is not the goal. Skill is. I don't believe crashing is inevitable, because my goal isn't to make it to black group. It's to become a really good rider. Speed is secondary... I'm not chasing lap times per se.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.