View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2017, 05:35 AM   #114
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

@SpeedCraft,
Thank you for taking the time to watch the video and give your feedback/analysis.
I agree with all of what you said except (and I may be wrong here) the statement about lack of trust in the front end. I am not great at putting what I feel into words but bear with me as I attempt to describe what I think I feel.

I do definitely rush the turn entry--but this is immediately followed by the feeling that I have slowed too much and need to increase speed. Since I don't have the proper mid corner reference points (recent discovery) I realize I have chosen a tighter line than intended so I adjust. I am still lost due to lack of reference and begin to set another line. Somewhere in this time frame I begin to see "the light at the end of the tunnel" and find the correct trajectory past the apex cone and im off! Not the way it should be done and I am looking to correct this next track ride! I think, with the help of you and several others, and by reviewing many of my riding videos, that I have a good idea of what I am doing wrong and how to correct the issue.

Your comments on the 11, 12 and 13 section made me think about why I am better thru that section. There are 2 "X's" on the track entering that section and I tend to enter there with a little more speed. I follow the first X to the second then head to the "groove" in the pavement (CSmith12 advised me to do a "Hook turn" there) then turn hard and set for the Apex cone. Over turn slightly past the apex cone and then max turn back to the opposite direction past the second cone then back to the first lean direction and head toward third apex. With all the necessary reference points I can put together the correct actions and finish the section well but until I get enough reference points thru turn 7 and 9 I will continue to make the same mistakes. When I approach turn 10 thru 13, I have all the information I need and can let my intuitive rider do his job, my "thinking rider" is not needed and the bike flows smoothly because I react and don't have to process then react---less thinking = better riding

I did not mention turns 4 and 5 in any of the above posts. I do have a little bit of issue entering turn 4 but I was learning a new line thru turn 5 due to some really rough pavement (turn 5 is called highside hill) on the inside right near the apex. I was working out my entry point and the best line thru that set of turns so until I have figured out a good line discussion will not make sense. I do need to carry much more speed up the hill, brake later and harder and use less engine braking for this set of turns. I will be getting a slipper clutch but I am trying to not change much on my bike (999) until I can work thru my current issues. Engine braking is one of my issues also, being a street rider for most of my life I have found it difficult to not use the motor to slow the bike down especially with the big twin. Turn 4 is the hardes braking zone on the Palmer track yet I am barely using the brakes and just letting the hill and motor slow me which cost time!

Last futzed with by Ducati999; January 31st, 2017 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Description of turn 4-5
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote