View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2017, 07:35 PM   #149
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I took 5-sec off my lap-times at Thunderhill this last weekend compared to last month. This now puts me mid-pack in 250 Prod instead of dead last!

1. In two weeks between, I watched a lot of YouTube videos of previous 250 Prod top-finishers. Lots of slow-mo and freeze-frame analysis to determine their key braking, turn-in and apex points. I found I was right on with braking, but slightly off with turn-in and apex (more later). I also listened to engine sounds to determine when they got off and back on throttle.

2. CRASHING! It's been a while since my last crash, about 20 track days ago back in March. However, I did tuck front-end last weekend in turn-2. It waggled bars something fierce, I stood it up, went off-road and came back on. Both these incidents had NOTHING to do with rider-skill in handling bike or navigating track; it was 100% error in judgement and choosing markers.

Previous crash occurred because I was too gung-ho on first lap out and went like bat-out-of-hell trying to pick up at same pace as last lap of previous session. Even with tyre-warmers, they cool off on way to start-line and waiting around. Recent front-end tuck was due to me increasing throttle while tightening line and adding lean-angle!!! Due to incorrect apex selection...

3. REFERENCE POINTS! This is what helped me most! Using Misti's idea of connecting dots (or Code's 2-step entry process), I worked on optimizing my turn-in and apex points. As I approached turn-in, I looked for apex before actually turning. I found that cones they placed for apexes was off from what I saw on YouTube videos. Cones were set with very late apexes for big bikes to drive down straights (and sacrifice cornering speed).

On the 250, I'd come in faster than them and had to tighten line to hit late apex and end up with lots of extra space on outside coming out of corner. That's when I tucked front-end, trying to get more speed coming out of corner before even hitting apex.

4. MODIFY MARKERS for 250! I found by moving apex earlier to match what I saw in videos and having them more towards centre of corners allows me to go around corners faster and get on throttle earlier. I was finally able to use up all that extra space on exit.

Going around corner faster also had an effect on my braking marker. I found myself coasting more after braking because I didn't have to slow down as much. I removed one extra downshift in couple corners. So I moved my braking markers further down these straights.

So.... watching faster 250 riders (even better, follow them), and optimizing connect-the-dots markers really reduced my laptimes. All without having to push it and risk crashing.
Wowzers!!! 5 seconds off from last month! That's a hefty chunk and I love how you did it. You seem to have taken careful thought and a planned process of analyzing where and how you could make up time. I LOVE IT!! I love how you noticed that you had to modify your lines to work with the 250 and carrying corner speed and that you noticed how important having good reference points and LOOKING at them in the correct timing and sequence. This is a great write up and I'm happy for you that you made such progress. Well done!!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote