Old February 13th, 2018, 01:35 PM   #167
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Misty,

Comment on Drawing the track: I had no Idea what the track looked like for the first half of the day, so no way to even begin to draw it at that point. I had not ridden a motorcycle for an entire year before this trip and did not even have any time to watch the videos of the track.

Just before lunch someone handed me a map of the track and I spent lots of time between sessions studying it, which made a big difference for the remainder of the day. I still was out of practice but at least I knew where I was going!

As always "Thank you for your time and comments" I will continue to learn how to be a better rider and with help from you and many others on this site, I feel I improve every time I ride!
You're welcome But I want to say something about your comment on drawing the track. When you have no idea what the track looks like is the PERFECT time to try and draw it. That is the point. You have no idea what it looks like so coming in from practice and drawing WHATEVER you remember will help you learn the track quicker than waiting to draw it after you have learned it.....does that make sense?

When I went to a new track for racing (I had exactly one day to learn the track and then try and qualify for an AMA race the next day) I never studied track maps or watched videos before hand. I went out in practice behind someone who offered to give me a tow around and when I came in I drew (terribly) whatever I could remember. Even if I got it completely wrong or only drew the first 2 turns or whatever, I drew what I could remember and that made me really think and utilize my memory and focus. After the first attempt at drawing I would realize that I had nothing for the last half of the track so the next season out I would try and remember that part and so on and so on until I was able to draw the track from memory. then each session out I would add to it or redraw it completely. The point is that if you try and wait until you "remember" it enough to draw it, you've lost the main point of the exercise and that is that simply DRAWING IT over and over again will help you learn it faster.

It doesn't take me long now to learn new tracks and I attribute it to being forced to draw new tracks (by Keith Code Himself) and also having to show up for a California Superbike School and coach local riders on tracks that I've never been to before, lol.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your input if you get a chance to try what I've suggested
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote