View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2021, 09:26 AM   #255
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I am a fan of full disclosure....

Ducati999 was with me @ Road Atlanta for 2 days. I could not ride with him on track as we were "sharing" a bike. However, I was all over that track infield on my scooter trying to see him in the most important and challenging corners except turn 7.

I can share this...

He did everything very well. The evidence shown on the bike and tires proved this.
I chatted with the coach that was towing him around, all good feedback.
He had amazing composure, patience and restraint when riding an unfamiliar track, on someone else's bike but DID push hard enough to leave with a smile and learned a thing or 2 about inline 4's and their characteristics vs twins.
His comments to me in the paddock showed an understanding of what he needed to do and a plan to do it.

Road Atlanta is a big track where you spend quite a bit of time per lap near or over 100mph. Its kink in the back straight will challenge your ability to hold full throttle @ 140mph+, the elevation change onto the front straight will test your faith in the ability to brake in time to make the corner at the bottom of the hill. And the chicane after the exit of turn one will ensure that you have planned ahead of time.

ps...
The tach (and many other things, lol) on my bike doesn't work. He found himself having to ride in a way that forced an understanding what the bike wanted from him vs looking at a dash. Only 3 things work on my dash; fuel light, the clock and the near rev limit shift light. Aside of that, it's just the rider, the bike and the track. Watching him come to terms with this over 2 days was an amazing sight. For full disclosure, the speedo works but we all already know about that while on track.

imho.... he left having more experience in one of the most important skills that a rider can have. Listening and understanding to the bikes subtle feedback and hints will serve you well.

pss....
He should have come to NOLA with me, cause the track, people and food were amazing.

psss....
He snores
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.