Thread: Tips and advice
View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2018, 10:42 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Racing has always been something I wanted to do, but never pulled the trigger on it. Well, this coming summer I'm wanting to commit to it.

So the bike I decided on using to learn on is a 2001 kawasaki zx7r. This would be my second "super sport". Last time I owned a sport bike was in 2012 on a zx6r. I only had it a year. So its been a while with that type of bike for me.

So questions I would have:

What should I do on the bike to prepare it? Other than tires and basic maintenance of course. I will note that I plan on street riding this next year as well.

How do I get started into this sport? Mid-Ohio offers track days with class room and training instructors. I will take advantage of that. How do I get into actual beginners racing class?( Not training).
First step for the 2001 ZX7R would be to sell it. Take the money are "re-invest" it into a better bike for a beginning-racer. Building and running a track-day bike is one thing, but racing is something different.

Take a look at classes where you would compete to see where the best place to start would be, then figure out what is the best bike to have in that class (if you think you can run towards the front).

The learning curve for racing, especially in the faster classes, is brutal and starting on a bike of that type and age is going to set you way back in the long run.

Now that the Ninja 400s are out, chances are there will be set-up Ninja 300s on the market.

That would be a good starting point in my opinion as a former cycle/kart racer, but current racers may have other suggestions.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote