Thread: Tips and advice
View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2018, 08:36 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Racing has always been something I wanted to do, but never pulled the trigger on it. Well, this coming summer I'm wanting to commit to it.

So the bike I decided on using to learn on is a 2001 kawasaki zx7r. This would be my second "super sport". Last time I owned a sport bike was in 2012 on a zx6r. I only had it a year. So its been a while with that type of bike for me.

So questions I would have:

What should I do on the bike to prepare it? Other than tires and basic maintenance of course. I will note that I plan on street riding this next year as well.

How do I get started into this sport? Mid-Ohio offers track days with class room and training instructors. I will take advantage of that. How do I get into actual beginners racing class?( Not training).
You are in luck! I am a coach at Mid-Ohio. Call and talk to Mark Junge about the next time a race school is going to be offered during a normal "PTR", aka track day as they are based on # of requests.

I would have to agree with @adouglas on 99% of things posted thus far. Come do a few track days just to see if you like it. "If" you feel it's something you would consider investing more of your time and $$$ into, then look into 2 schools, 1. a riding school such as Mid-o or CSS or the likes. The 2nd school would be a race school. There is "protocol" to racing, you just don't get out there and go fast. There is more too it. Perhaps start out with local club racing to keep the costs in check.

Costs....
I would first say, never add it up, it will just make you sad. Next I would say, race because you love it or don't even bother, aside of a few races just to check it off your bucket list. For full disclosure, it cost me $20k to race 22 race rounds + practices + extra fun at more than average track days to work on skills (one season). Could I have spent less, sure... to each there own on what you really want out of it and how comfortable you want to be. Don't judge based on my input solely, as my experience is not average. I traveled alot to make friends and help others, many of them post here often.

What do you really need?
A turkey pan (or race belly pan) for a lower to be "oil tight" and to be safe, some safety wire and a full set of gear. The helmet being the most important... 5yrs or less old by the date on the inside tag. Don't forget the back protector either. You should be planning on around $1k in gear and some hours spent on working on the bike to pass "advanced group" track day requirements. Check with your local org/club for requirements on their website. If you still can't figger it out, post here. Many of us have ridden with just about all of them.

You will also need the right attitude. If you have never been to the track before, you will get a "re-education" in what fast "really" is. The fast guys on the street are normally NOT the fast guys on the track.

Tell you what...
Call up Mid-O, sign up for a PTR and let me know when you will be there, tell them "Chris Smith" sent you. We can hang out, I will try to be your coach for the day and plan on staying for dinner. Then ride again the 2nd day. You will learn everything you need to know from track/race prep, to on track etiquette, to how to eat and sleep well at the track on the cheap. The only thing I ask you bring is your bike/gear, a good attitude and an open mind. Oh... might want to come a little on the hungry side, we eat well at the track.

Honestly... it's on a whole other level of mental stance and self control to ride 1000 laps, over 4yrs without even running off the surface.

Basic bike prep;
Tape all lights/mirros (or remove)
Silicon/Safety wire all oil fill caps/plugs, drain plugs and filters (no filters with nuts on the top... K&N)
Tires in good shape (80% tread life)
A working kill switch
A throttle that snaps back to 0 without catching
NO FLUID LEAKS... of any sort
Check your chain, proper slack is a big deal
Check your master link
Look for loose things, we don't like to see things dangling about.
Check for loose bolts... all that you can find/see.
Check your brakes, make sure you have plenty of pad left.
Drain radiator and fill with water wetter + water.

Gear;
Helmet, you might want to wear one.
1 piece or 2 piece suit that has a 360 zipper
Boots (over ankle)
Gloves (over wrist)
Back protector (if required)

Lemme know if you have any other questions, good luck, have fun and see you soon.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.