Thread: Tips and advice
View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2018, 01:32 PM   #17
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank06 View Post
The way I see it, the problem with jumping right in is that you could quickly be overcome by what's going on: riders flashing by on both sides, near collisions, etc. And I'm not sure knowing lap times is helpful: when you see you're 20 seconds off the pace will you able to think about the best thing to do? There's an argument to be made for understanding and concentrating on technique w/o worrying about times. That said, at some point I agree a timer can be a good tool for improvement.
As far as trackdays go, the last trackday I was at had far more incidents than any race weekend I've been a part of in the last three years, so I would say that the relative safety of trackdays is somewhat of an illusion in that regard.
If you decide to start racing you can put yourself at the back of the grid if you think close passes will be an issue. That way you stay out of the first lap stuff and you can move through traffic at your own pace.

It's not worrying about laptimes, it's using laptimes as a tool. Laptimes are an objective indicator of your pace so they will tell you if your technique is producing results.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote