Old December 6th, 2018, 08:19 AM   #66
dodgerdad
ninjette.org guru

Name: Hector

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Don't mess with carbs! They are now perfect and contributing nothing to issues. Look at and measure following areas:

- compression test, both plugs out, WOT when cranking

- little filter screen in fuel-inlet hose. Try running without it

- ride with gas cap open,any better? Do whistling gas-cap mod

- vacuum going to petcock. Make sure line isn't crimped when tank lowered

- use rubber-T and measure vacuum level at petcock

- petcock flow-rate. Aim fuel inlet hose into measuring cup. Apply at least 7 in.Hg
to pecock for 1-minute. How much fuel flowed into cup?
I think you're on to something in relation to the petcock. I've done some searching and have found many posts & videos which display the exact issue I'm having resulting from a bad petcock (diaphragm). Oddly, it seems more prevalent in Harley/twin cruisers but they describe the same symptoms (hanging idle at low rpm, running rich, bogging under rapid acceleration, inconsistent idle when coming to a stop, etc.). Recently when I've removed my tank I always find a decent amount of fuel in my vacuum line (I assume this is abnormal).

I don't own a vacuum gun/tester but I'm optimistic because the symptoms are identical to what I've found when researching this. I don't feel like messing with ordering parts and rebuilding so I'm going to see how cheap I can get a new OEM unt for, preliminary searches put it around $95. That's steep but if it brings my bike to 100% I'll pay for it with a smile.

PS I've experienced no hydro locking/whistling when riding and the stock fuel screen has been removed and replaced with a small inline filter.