View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2018, 03:19 PM   #14
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Those Triumphs are fine - no numbers and no checkers.

And no metalflake open face helmets with bubble visors - oy!

I just view the cliche Cafe Racer-thing just like the Fat Tire Chopper-thing. A fad.

That's just me. I'm an old racer and like modded street bikes to look and handle more like race bikes without a lot of fluff.
Maybe the full on cafe racer with outdated suspension is a fad. The Duc Sport Classic's short run would seem indicative of that. I am not a fan of the "looks only" models, like the R9T Racer having a downgraded suspension, but I am biased towards liking the styling of the retro style bikes.

When I first started riding, I was all about sportbikes. I went from a Nighthawk 250 to an R6 and then a CBR600RR. I never thought I would want another naked bike, a big touring bike, or a grand tourer. However, I now love my Thruxton R (no fairing). The suspension is solid (Showa BPF forks and Ohlins rear shocks), and the styling is just timeless IMO. As my coworker said, when I was debating a 2017 R6 or the Thruxton, "The R6 will look like an old R6 with the next generation, but the Thruxton will still be what it is." It is a bit heavy, but handling makes me think of an early 2000s 600, which is plenty for the street. Plus, the seat height is lower and the seating position is quite comfortable.

I still don't have any interest in a Goldwing or big bagger bike, but I've started to come around on the ADV bikes, like the Tiger 800 and GS. My biggest issue ultimately is seat height, as I do not like having to hop off the bike to back it into a parking space. This was ultimately the deal breaker with me and my Hypermotard.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote