View Single Post
Old July 11th, 2020, 03:45 PM   #8
arthury
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250J; 2005 CBR1000RR

I think the switch is busted.
Essentially, the internal of the switch is quite simple: when you depress it, it breaks the circuit (open circuit).
I'm assuming that somehow bumps up the voltage to the bulb a little to increase the light intensity?

I have actually unscrewed the switch and disengaged it from the handle-bar and did some experimentation with me manually depressing the switch to see how it behaved. It was erratic. Some times it works and more often than not it did not. I have also popped open the switch to see the internals of the switch and it is a crude little thing. It's all mechanical tiny levers held back by springs and small (magnetic electrical contact points). A 13 year old spring is old.

I looked at the switch and it was factory dated at 2008 Mar. If I dig this far, for a 12 year vehicle, I usually replace parts along the way so as not waste future time. It's time for that switch to go and besides, it's cheap. So, I'll replace it and see what happens. If it does not solve the problem, I will continue to go down the rabbit hole.

Thanks, Danno, for the kind help.
arthury is offline   Reply With Quote