View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #9
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcable View Post
Just curious but your math doesn't add up. How do you sell the bike with that kind of problem for any kind of money that would NOT make it a better choice to repair it.
For instance... regardless of what you put into it in extra's... (nobody pays extra for extra's...) with that kind of repair... the bike is not able to be ridden. Most people looking for 250r's are looking for starter bikes that need NO repairs. These are typically new riders who don't have a clue. None of them will buy the bike.
If you do happen to find somebody like me who buys and repairs bikes on the side you would be lucky to get $600-$700 for it.

The better choice is to repair it. Its only labor. My guess would be around $100.00 at a machine shop if you take the head off yourself... $300.00 if you bring it to an indy and they do it. Not a big deal at all. I could have that head off in about and hour.
got 1600$ in it excluding tires cuz they dont count toward price. dont have the time to break the engine down myself or the ability to wait for it to get fixed, need a running bike by Friday to get to work. if i pay 300 to get it repaired that would put it at 1900$ and on a good day i could sell it running for maybe 17-1800$. if i parted it out or sold it all together i was thinking around 800-1000$

the smart choice would be to let it sit and buy a new one, then eventually get it repaired and sell it for around 100-200$ loss. dont need the cash, have plenty in the bank but im wanting to buy a house for my little girls asap and this will set me back a few months