View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #6
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

Hi Alex, I got a 87 like yours and the 1st gen 250 is getting rare. Never seen another one the road in southern California since 1998, I'm sure they're around just in garage or sheds waiting to be restored. Info from Japan indicate a 5,000 production number total for the 86-87 250's and most went to US, Australia and Japan, don't think it was exported to Europe.

Regarding Levers, you can swap yours with a EX500/Ninja 500 which has adjustable span (or any aftermarket lever that fit 250/500s). You can also update your clutch lever perch (two piece design) with a EX500's so you can remove it from the handle bar without taking off the grip to slid it off.

The 86-87 has 35mm diameter forks, 88-07 has 36mm forks, 08+ has 37mm forks so 2mm extra for 25+ years of advancement....not much if you ask me. That being said the triple clamps are not compatible unless you also replace the forks. If there is nothing wrong with your parts just taking it off and clean or repaint them, its not worth it to swap front ends with 88-07 Ninja but might be on the 08+ Ninja as you get to use modern 17" tires.

I installed Progressive Suspension springs in mine and change the fork oil to 15 wt. and it made a huge difference. The trend now is none-progressive spring, just straight rate from Race Tech, Sonic basically anything that'll work on 88-07's will work on ours.

Try not to lay it down too much as the plastic body work is long gone from factory since mid 90's, the good news is that the engine is pretty much the same from all 3 generations so keeping it running forever will not be an issue. 86-87 are a novelty and conversational piece at bike nights of a more mature gatherings as its probably older then most 250 owners nowdays so if you want it for transportation and ease of spare parts purpose, the 88-07 will be a much better choice.
fjyang is offline   Reply With Quote