Old September 8th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #129
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Yeah, you have to test to determine what's an effect and what's cause. Given the symptoms, he could have immediately replaced:

- tach
- fuel-gauge
- fuel-level sender
- left-coil
- IC-ignitor

Aside from ignitor, which we've tested to be bad, he would've replaced perfectly-working parts with brand-new perfectly-working parts. Which is still only dealing with symptoms/effects of problem. Wouldn't have fixed issues and most likely will have fried new IC-ignitor as well. Cause is shorts in wiring, which he found one and fixed; but there appears to be more.

And even then, shorts may be additional symptoms as well. Actual cause and problem may very well be sharp edge of metal somewhere on frame or tank that's scratching wires and creating shorts. He'll then have to replace harness with new one every 6-months as new shorts are created until real problem is found and addressed.
Haha not all of those parts... A new harness; bikes are way more complicated than the boats I used to rewire on a table before I jerked the harness out. Those and old stuff are the only electrical work I like; all this new rat best stuff makes my head spin