Thread: Wheelies
View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #25
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Ok, so I managed to get a quick ride in today. I can get the wheelies up now a lot more easily but I still need to figure out how to get that clutch finger back on the bars quickly!

I think a problem I was having yesterday was just not giving it enough throttle during the clutch up. When done right the engine is gonna be at its loudest and it shouldn't even drop in rpms while lifting. I had it in the back of my head that you could get it up most of the way with the clutch and then power it up the rest of the way but I learned today that's not really the case. When you clutch it up it should go all the way up.

I got up to the balance point today sitting down and it was a little scary. I racked my nuts pretty good too on the way down. I grabbed a fistful of throttle and pulled a long one out; maybe a little too much throttle, I am not sure to be honest.
One thing that worries me is my hand grabbing the throttle and not being able to let off like when you hit the powerband and your bike kind of takes off from you and you have to hang on causing you to throttle it more? Make sense?

I've seen some vids on youtube where they advocate to blip the throttle when clutching up. I don't think we have that luxury with our engines and I think it is best to dump the clutch while throttling on until we are up there.

I need to start some drills where I bring the bike down with the brakes because it's not exactly 2nd nature to me as of now...

I pulled a few standing up as well but those are a little more difficult for me for some reason. I definitely do them better after I do a few sitting down but balancing them with my feet offset is going to take practice. Getting the whole pump action down takes coordination...

Once my left forearm is done being sore from these one finger clutchups I think I can make some more progress. I am going to experiment a little with the amount of throttle I hammer on. It seems like how fast you rev it plays a big role as you can get it up to 9k and have nothing happen one time but another time you can get it up a couple feet.

Hope everyone is making big plans to bring in the new year!
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.