Thread: mid-size bikes
View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2015, 06:52 AM   #26
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
He never runs off on me, he's good about keeping pace with me, or i'm good with keeping pace with him rather. We have a long straight stretch before we get home, its about 8 miles, like maybe 3 easy sloping curves, while he's alone he easily runs 85+, he's comfortable with that. Myself, alone, I run like 70-75, where i'm comfortable. Then if we are riding together we run like 70. The only times I seriously can't keep up with him is coming away from stop lights, stop signs, etc. He drops a gear and is gone. Literally gone.

I'm so torn between a naked touring type bike (ie, shiver.) and a street bike. If i go the route of a naked touring bike, i'll definately get the shiver, secondhand of course. Otherwise, I like the KTM RC390.
Because he's on a 1000, that's not going to change much no matter what you get.

It may be difficult to find a used Shiver, and they can be troublesome - if I'm not mistaken.

Because of your size, you don't need a big bike. If you like the RC390, I would see if you can take one for a ride. It's not a huge step up from your 250 in the power department though. Handling is great, but it's not going to keep you any closer to the Mille.

Other choices for a good mid-sized bike would be the Ninja 650 or a used SV 650. Read some of the middleweight shootouts and see what appeals to you.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote