View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2018, 01:05 PM   #5
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

While I was doing the headlight work I decided to see what the electrical draw of the instrument panel lighting was.

The EX250 has three "wedge type" bulbs that light the instrument panel, when I tested the amperage draw of one I got .22 of an amp which means all three bulbs together are drawing .66 amp (or about 9 watts total).

I ordered replacement LEDs for the instrument lights. The replacement LED bulbs run at .04 amps, so the total for all three would be .12 amps (or about 2 watts total).

The electrical "savings" of swapping these three bulbs to LED would be about 7 watts. This amount added together with the 42 (roughly speaking) watts saved on the LED headlight conversion brings the total to almost 50 watts.

As I mentioned earlier in the original post, this electrical system saving has made my FI system stable whenever the engine drops to idle, the system voltage now stays as 14.0 volts and the items that depend on good, stable voltage, like the fuel pump and the wide band O2 sensor system are working better now.

Plus the original incandescent bulbs in my instrument panel were dim (they were 13 years old and had sort of a "cooked" look to them, so I it wasn't surprising that they were dim). Now the instrument panel lighting is brighter (probably back up to what it was when the bike was new).
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote